Monday, January 27, 2014

Baroque curlicues, tree, crows, and more

To many people tattoos are permanent souvenirs – of loved ones, memories, life-defining events, admired celebrities or artists, religious beliefs – but to me they are decoration. My tattoos have no meaning. Baroque curlicues work up one arm and spill into a tree form with crows flying outwards. Most recently I have added a destination for the crows with a sailor’s compass on my upper shoulder and an arrangement of antique cogs and English ivy flowing down my left arm.

For an art historian it is intriguing to offer yourself as a canvas. And I have a great artist in Amy Black of Trademark Tattoo in Richmond, VA. Richmond is one of the most tattooed cities in America and tattoo is as much a part of our visual culture here as the great works of art in the museum.

Robin Nicholson
Deputy Director for Art and Education
Virginia Museum of Fine Arts 





Want to share your own story and tattoo?
Email Beth: beth (at) redmond-jones (dot) com or Paul: info (at) orselli (dot) net.

No comments:

Post a Comment