Monday, January 15, 2018

Joshua Tree (Yucca brevifolia)



I've been many places across the US, but there is only one place that really speaks to me—Joshua Tree National Park. I first experienced the park when I moved to San Diego in late summer of 2013, and upon my first visit, I knew that this was a place that was incredibly special for me. Many see it as an arid place with weird outcroppings of rocks and spiky trees. For me, those rocks are puzzles in which to climb with ropes to test my own skills, or to scramble up on then sit to admire the gorgeous view and have time for me, and the Joshua Tree, well, it's just amazing. They are only found in this one part of the world, they look Dr. Seussian, but are part of the yucca family. From the first time I saw them, I fell in love with them.

Due to climate change, this species is moving towards being an endangered species. My tattoo is of a specific Joshua Tree that can be found at 34°02'19.8"N 116°11'03.3"W. Thanks to Mike Stobbe at Avalon II for giving me my own Joshua Tree.

Beth Redmond-Jones
Vice President of Engagement and Education
San Diego Natural History Museum

Want to share your own story and tattoo?
Email Beth: bredmondjones (at) sdnhm (dot) org or Paul: info (at) orselli (dot) net.

No comments:

Post a Comment