Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Transitions and Flowers



I got this tattoo to mark several important transitions and periods in my life. I started a graduate degree program in Ecology (it was an interdisciplinary program and allowed me to study science educational outreach & communication but did include many classes on ecology which was a new subject for me) and I chose the plant theme to fit that new focus in my life. The flowers represent places I've lived: the rhododendron is the Washington state flower, the columbine is the Colorado state flower and the star gazer lily is a personal favorite. I may have to add something or get a new one to represent California and science museums after my recent move to the Exploratorium. The leaves are in a lace pattern to represent my marriage/wedding that occurred in the same year I started my graduate program.


Katie Boyd is a research coordinator at the Exploratorium. Before that, she was involved with science educational outreach and communication efforts for several organizations. You can find out more about her at her website: http://kathrynboyd.weebly.com/ or by following her on twitter: @katieboyd03


Want to share your own story and tattoo?
Email Beth: bredmondjones (at) sdnhm (dot) org or Paul: info (at) orselli (dot) net.

1 comment: